Dealing with measles can quickly become devastating, especially in an area where people have never been exposed. The experts at Premier Medical Associates are here to inform you of all the information you need to know about measles and measles treatment. We are known for being the best primary care doctors near me. We are located in Orlando.
What Are Measles?
Measles is an infection typically found in children that are caused by a virus. Today, measles are usually completely avoidable with the proper vaccination. The virus that is responsible for this infection is called rubeola. It can be serious and sometimes even fatal. While death rates have been falling worldwide as more children receive the measles vaccine, the disease still kills more than 100,000 people a year, most under the age of 5.
The symptoms of measles usually don’t appear until 10 to 14 days after exposure to the virus. The symptoms of measles usually include the following:
- Dry cough
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Inflamed eyes (conjunctivitis)
- Tiny white spots with bluish-white centers on a red background found inside the mouth on the inner lining of the cheek — also called Koplik’s spots
- A skin rash made up of large, flat blotches that often flow into one another
There are several stages when it comes to measles.
- Infection and incubation. For the first 10 to 14 days after you’re infected, the measles virus incubates. You have no signs or symptoms of measles during this time.
- Nonspecific signs and symptoms. Measles typically begins with a mild to moderate fever, often accompanied by a persistent cough, runny nose, inflamed eyes (conjunctivitis) and sore throat. This relatively mild illness may last two or three days.
- Acute illness and rash. The rash consists of small red spots, some of which are slightly raised. Spots and bumps in tight clusters give the skin a blotchy red appearance. The face breaks out first.
- Over the next few days, the rash spreads down the arms and trunk, then over the thighs, lower legs, and feet. At the same time, the fever rises sharply, often as high as 104 to 105.8 F (40 to 41 C). The measles rash gradually recedes, fading first from the face and last from the thighs and feet.
- Communicable period. A person with measles can spread the virus to others for about eight days, starting four days before the rash appears and ending when the rash has been present for four days.
We Specialize in Measles Treatment
Premier Medical Associates has been in the healthcare industry for over two decades. We built this company because the world needs more healthy, happy communities. Premier Medical Associates was founded by a doctor who makes our code of ethics extremely high. What makes us stand out is the fact that we sincerely care about our patients. Our compassionate doctors love coming to work every day, and they love what they do. At Premier Medical Associates, we offer a large variety of services and have doctors to suit all your medical needs.
Call The Primary Care Doctors Near Me
We offer everything from in-house testing and measles treatment, to Urgent Care. If you are looking for a physician WHO CARES, contact us today. We are here for you every step of the way! We are the best primary care doctors near me.